Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Editorial: The Power of Spider-Fatigue

“WELCOME BACK, SPIDER” by Mo Shaunette

So Spider-Man is coming to the MCU.  After years of competition in defiance of the hopes of fanboys across the globe, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios have reached an agreement that will allow the web-slinger to appear alongside Iron Man, Captain America, and the rest of the Avengers crew on the big screen.  What’s my reaction as both a regular moviegoer and a comic book fan?

            “Yeah, okay.”

            Honestly, I thought I’d be more excited.

            I think I’m just burnt out on Spider-Man, y’know?  Since 2002, we’ve had five Spider-Man features, three animated series, ten boxed-console video games, and a theatrical musical—not to mention the Spider-Man comics themselves, which have included some of the most controversial storylines in Marvel’s history and the introduction of a new wall-crawler, Miles Morales.  

I’m happy that Spider-Man has become so accessible to the public; I’m happy that such a complex, enduring character is not only recognized and loved, but remains relevant fifty-two years after his creation.  But I just can’t muster up enough excitement at the prospect of a major Hollywood picture featuring Spidey taking his place alongside Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

            Maybe that’s because every piece of media connected to Spider-Man as of late has been, at best, sub-par.  The “Ultimate Spider-Man” animated series aims at a much younger demographic than other superhero shows, and as for Marc Webb’s “Amazing Spider-Man” movies…well, let’s not get into those right now.  None of us have the time or energy to deal with the failings of that franchise.

Maybe it’s because I’m disappointed that some Marvel’s newer, fresher movies have been bumped back to make room for Spider-Man’s welcome.  Maybe I’m worried that Marvel’s going to rush out a crappy movie to establish Spidey so he can appear fully formed in 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War.”  Maybe I’m irked because now that lesser-known but compelling characters like Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and the Inhumans are getting their own features, seeing another Spider-Man romp just doesn’t feel as special.

            Whatever the reason, I’m just not looking forward to the whole affair; the thought of more Spider-Man movies just wearies me.  I don’t want to watch the whole process of seeing Peter Parker cast again, of waiting for a trailer, of hearing arguments about this new version stacked against the work of Sam Raimi or Marc Webb, of seeing the damn origin again (seriously, how many times do we need see that radioactive spider bite, or hear Uncle Ben say “power” and “responsibility” in the same sentence before he gets shot?).  Honestly, if Marvel announced they were doing a “Moon Knight” feature or a “Howard the Duck” TV series, I’d be far more enthused about that than anything Spidey related.

            This is probably just me suffering from superhero fatigue, and Marvel Studios letting Spider-Man into the fold is probably the best direction for the character.  But I’m just tired of Peter Parker and his amazing friends right now.  

‘Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment